Saturday, July 17, 2010

Thoughts from the Flea.

Today was the Boston Fetish Fair Fleamarket--basically a vendor fair for perverts. It was awesome. (It is also, I should point out, a non-play and clothes-on event, featuring only the sort of activities that would be PG-13 if they weren't all fetishey. So go ahead and bring Grandma.) Apparently the Summer Flea is nothing compared to the winter one and this wasn't even big by summer standards, but it was big by my standards.

I walked in and I'm ashamed to admit it, but for a moment I just gawped. Sexy stuff! Kinky stuff! Just out on tables where God and everyone can see it! There's fake wangers just right out there! And leather and medical toys and rubber and hitting things and tie-y-uppy things and oh my gosh oh my gosh oh my gosh! Then I met up with some friends and... I didn't really mellow out, I kept "oh my gosh"ing pretty much all day, but at least I was doing it socially.

---

Deeply Meaningful Quote Of The Day: "My main physical experience with BDSM is getting hugged."

It's true, man. Both in the positive sense that this community is far more sociable and supportive than I think most outsiders could guess, and in the negative sense that sometimes I worry that I'm better at being a BDSM community member than I am at actually playing.

---

I got stapled. Like, with a surgical stapler. It's significantly less horrible than it sounds. (Trying to remove it without the proper tool, however, is quite horrible. That's when I started bleeding.)

---

I got an nJoy Pure Wand! Eeeeeeee! It's big and it's metal and it's hard and I'm going to stuff it in my orifices and there will be joy! The nJoy booth people were really friendly and helpful, too.

I also got an Evil Stick! Whee! I'm not going to be able to wear a swimsuit in public again for the next... ever!

---

"Man, this is a lot like the Ren Faire. ...it's the same people, too."

---

Mostly, the Flea was fun. It was a place to do happy rompy silly things and shop from a boggling array of the toys that I'm used to seeing in the tiny Corner of Shame in a sex shop. It was a place to catch up with people from all over the kinky world. It was a place to talk to the experts who make toys and know more than you can imagine about their history and construction and use.

It was a place to press my breasts against another girl's breasts and then we both jumped up and down while giggling. You probably should have been there.

6 comments:

  1. All I can say is, if you got that "wow, all this kinky out in the open and stuff!" feeling at the summer flea, the winter flea will probably cause spontaneous bouts of squee. I spent the whole first day my first year just being all giddy about that. The kinky networking opportunities were so fantastic that I think I have an open invitation to parties in Florida if I'm ever down there, because I was standing next to this girl in line at the CVS in the hotel and we got to talking...

    Also I went broke, because there was so. much. stuff! that was pretty and useful and fun and impossible to find at local stores that I just *needed* to add to my toy box. So, yeah, careful of that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "It was a place to press my breasts against another girl's breasts and then we both jumped up and down while giggling. You probably should have been there."

    I was there. Ah, good times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too was there, and it was good times. I renew my wish to watch you watch the Winter Flea unfold. Heck, volunteer a bit and I'll buy you dinner, we'll hang out with The Most Fabulous Gay Man In The World (Ricotta pies have a week dedicated to him -- Drew can verify this) and get some good history lessons, etc. I'll pay good money just to watch you experience the Winter Flea. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I make it to the Flea something like one year in three, I think, and this wasn't my year. I think the last I made it was two years ago so maybe next year will be my year!

    Two years ago I got a flogger to dedicate to the god who owns my ass, because I'm ... strange that way. It was I believe from these folks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Flea is indeed awesome. I made it to the Winter Flea this year but didn't actually buy anything (shocking, I know). It's really affirming to see all the stuff just out there, available for purchase! And the community just makes me feel all warm and squishy inside.

    ReplyDelete
  6. yeah, whoever said it was better to give than to receive, wasn't kinky enough for an Evil Stick.

    Probably wasn't kinky enough for the paddle set from the dollar tree.

    ReplyDelete